Quran 93. The Glorious Morning Light - A Truth Seeker's cure for Depression
93. THE GLORIOUS MORNING LIGHT
In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
1- By the glorious morning light;
2 - and by the night when it darkens,
3 - your Lord has not forsaken you, nor is He displeased with you,
4 - and the Hereafter will indeed be better for you than the present life;
5 - soon you will be gratified with what your Lord will give you.
6 - Did He not find you orphaned and shelter you?
7 - Did He not find you wandering, and give you guidance?
8 - Did He not find you in want, and make you free from want?
9 - Therefore do not treat the orphan with harshness,
10 - and do not chide the one who asks for help;
11 - but proclaim the blessings of your Lord.
When I ponder over this verse in Quran during low time of my life, I feel I am being comforted by God's compassionate and empathetic character as He comforted Prophet Muhammad Peace be Upon Him. This was the time when Prophet did not get revelation from his Beloved Creator for several months and he became worried and disturbed and thought God was displeased with him.
It happens to us many times when we go through the ups and downs of our life, suffer illnesses and failures in our life, feel pain, sorrow and loneliness. Sometimes we become unsure and scared of our future, just like Prophet Muhammad PBUH did.
God knew what was going on with him , but , Did Prophet hide his feelings from people? It appears, he did not! People also knew what was happening to him.
God came to his rescue, understood his emotions, conversed with him, validated his emotions, and used His Empathy and Compassion to soothe and comfort him. Next, He coached him to heal his distress and sorrow by treating the orphans with kindness, by helping the needy and being grateful of God's blessings
Here God is showing us the ways to manage our depression and attain contentment:
- Be aware of our emotions, acknowledge them: anger, sorrow, loneliness, sadness, fear, shame, contempt, shyness, guilt and so on. Don't hide it.
- Strong emotions are not seen as something to be dismissed, changed, or denied but explored
- Have compassion and self-empathy to build low esteem, forgive and forget , repent, have infinite hope and trust on God. Have balanced expectations on self and with others , gradually unburden self from materialistic thinking , extravagant desires, overly expectations and attachments.
- Help the orphans and needy so that we may be entitled for God’s grace. Our words and deeds should be full of the expression of God’s grace, so that He may confer His blessings upon us
depressed and believing that Allah was displeased with him, had forgotten him